Saturday, January 29, 2011

Mafia

Today I ate like an Italian.  Before I let you know what I ate, because that’s obviously what we’re all here for, you must understand the Italian’s schedule.  Shops and restaurants open in the morning until about noon.  Then they close from about 1-4, so that the shopkeepers and workers can go home and have a three hour lunch/siesta.  Today, we had planned on going to the café in the morning (where I successfully ordered a pastry and hot chocolate), walking to the store at the bottom of the hill to get some groceries before the siesta, and making it back up the hill for a pezzi di pizza (piece of pizza).  Unfortunately in our small town, siesta starts earlier than we expected, so the only place we found open was a restaurant called Ristorante da Muzzicone.  It is owned by an old, chain-smoking Italian named Tugli.  He opened the door for us and let us know that it was “Apresto,” or open for you uncultured Kansans. 
When we entered, we saw that it was clearly a nicer place - every table set with tablecloths, wine glasses at each seat, everything you would expect in a nicer restaurant.  He didn’t speak English, so we tried our best to ask about the costs.  He brought us a poster that had the menu on it and showed that it was going to be 25 euro/person for an appetizer, pasta, meat, dessert, wine, water, and coffee if you so choose.  It was the type of menu where you pay to eat what he is making that day or you don’t eat there at all.  He saw that we were very hesitant (because we only wanted a light lunch that didn’t cost much), so after we deliberated a while if we should stay or not, he told us he would feed the whole table but only charge for 5 plates (there were 8 of us). We decided to accept that and just take it as an experience. 
The meal began, naturally, with wine – Il Rosso 12.  He brought out some bread and we got comfortable in our seats.  After a while, he brought out the antipasti, which was a meat tray of prosciutto, sliced salami as well as thin deli-like pieces of salami.  Next, he brought out a tray of noodles covered in a cheesy cream sauce with small pieces of bacon in it.  Oh. My. Goodness.  DELICIOSO!  Kelsey had three servings. I held back with just two servings, and needed some digestion time before the next course.  This was by far my favorite dish so far.
After drinking more wine and talking about life, the main course was brought out.  Slices of cooked meat soaking in olive oil and vinaigrette, covered with what I thought was a pine tree at first, but turned out to be rosemary.  Pretty tasty once again!  Finally came our first real dessert this semester – tiramisu.  We learned from our Italian teacher that tiramisu means “lift me up.”  This is because it was originally used for people who are sick, because it helps give them energy.  It was molto bene!  I hate coffee, but despite the espresso taste this dessert was super. 
Enough about the food and on to more interesting things.  This restaurant is a family business.  The owner just sat at a table and drank wine and smoked the whole time we were there.  He would be a very intimidating person if you came across him in a dark alley, but if you are friendly to him, he is friendly to you.  In the middle of our lunch, we noticed a bit of a quarrel between a waiter and another man dining there.  Apparently he didn’t like the cost of the meal, and was complaining.  The man eventually went to the owner and they were yelling at each other in Italian.  Tugli told the man to get out of his restaurant and never come back, plus a nice “F.. you!” in English.  The man left without paying, but I am positive he is going to be dead by the end of the night.  Good thing we tipped Tugli well, because thanks to the Godfather I now know that if you are in with the mafia and don’t wrong them they won’t kill you.  We’re in the clear. 
To update you on yesterday, since I fell asleep before posting, I will sum up the basics of my day.  Marissa and Kelsey had some good bonding, about how they can’t find clothes small enough for them. Must be such a rough life….
I went up a hill yesterday that I might as well have crawled up.  I’ll estimate it was a 70 degree angle, so I was pretty much rock climbing.  Later we found a path that is a little longer but a gradual incline, much worth the extra few steps.  I think we stopped 3 times to take breathers up the steep hill. I’ll be sure and walk up and down it if I’m ever feel like I’m gaining weight.
Oh, how could I forget? We went on our first trip yesterday.  Took a train to Arezzo, and had an amazing tour guide named Giavonni.  He is the Italian Charney.  He had great facts about everything he saw, and there was so much information that I decided to just film his little rants, so I will post interesting ones on Facebook eventually.  We saw lots of historic stuff that you might just look on Facebook for later tonight.  We even got a private tour of the frescoes that have been restored at St. Francis church.  P.S. St. Francis is the patron of Italy, although he is half French.  Hollar SFA Vikings!  We walked and walked and walked all over Arezzo, learned lots, and then got back on a train to head home.  Giavonni told us that next weekend there is a HUGE antique market next weekend that we will definitely be attending!! 
SPILL OF THE DAY?
Yesterday’s lunch was a really good soup that was cream based with some green stuff in it, well, it was really good but I really don’t know what it was.  For the second course (yes we have two course lunches), we were served pomariggio e formaggio, which is tomatoes and cheese.  It is a bit like bruschiutto without the toast.  As I was carefully serving myself from the tray of tomatoes and cheese, one of the tomatoes slipped out of the spoon, hit the edge of my plate, and landed flat in my lap.  I think it knew I was doing well not spilling and decided to act out.  Rude little tomato.  Did I mention it was covered in olive oil?
I think I am going to participate in the siesta now, oh life is so rough.  I will update later on today’s spill of the day, although I am doing alright so far!  One side note, when we were in the café today we ran into our professors and they pointed out a poster – CIRCUS is coming to Arezzo!!!! In February, and we found coupons for it!!!! SO EXCITED!!!!
Cara Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment