Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sleep, Eat, and Be Italian

Well, after I wrote that last post I was planning on napping for an hour or so, uploading it, and doing some other productive stuff.  Instead, Kelsey and I slept for 4 hours until Marissa busted in and told us it was dinner time. Woops.  It was gloomy outside anyways, and I got some much needed sleep in, since I actually woke up at 7:45am. And I am serious, mom and dad and Eric. I woke up before noon. On a Saturday. Motivation might have been a pastry and hot chocolate (cioccolade calde).

All I have to add onto the last post is that when we got to dinner, my first bite of the penne pasta ended in my lap. So there is my spill of the day.

On another note, we have discovered that anything that is Italian is cuter and more precious than anything equal to it that is American.  From the dogs that we see to all the adorable babies and kids, we are obsessed with anything Italian.  I think it is because the kids aren't obese and the babies are legitimately adorable, not like the American "oh your baby is so cute" when really it looks like an alien.  Also, I believe it has something to do with how the kids are dressed.  With their skinny jeans in their fur boots by the age of 4, it makes them look like miniature people. SO CUTE.

Here is some food for thought: if you were Italian, what would you name your dog?  Kelsey said she would probably name hers Pezzi, meaning piece, from piece of pizza (the only phrase she knows). Not sure what kind of attitude her pup would have if she names it piece...piece of what, Kelsey?  Anyways, now any dog we see we call Pezzi, or gatto because we don't know dog in italian. Cat is fitting enough, right?

On the topic of cats, we tried to help two girls catch their cat today.  It was humorous standing back as all the Americans scramble around cars trying to catch this little gatto.  I just stood back and laughed. 

Well, we are going to some pirate bar in a couple hours.  Yes, pirate as in "Arggghh" as Stephanie said.  Should be fun!

Ciao

Cara Marie

P.S. I am going to start teaching you all Italian in my posts, there will be a quiz when I am back in the states. Pay attention!

....I feel bad for not talking about Arezzo, because it was a great trip, so I am going to copy and paste Marissa's post because I am just that lazy!

Copyright Marissa Carroll:

"First train ride- to Arezzo! We got off the train and were immediately greated with a relatively modern city, at least by the train station. Our tour guide Giovani, who was more entertaining than the sights themselves, met us here. He told us that in order to blend in more with the locals, we needed to stop saying "grazie" (thank you) and "scusi" (excuse me) so much and also to never order cappuccino after morning. He then mentioned that the Italian economy was the same as a leaky gelato cone or the titanic...it's going down and fast! But apparently world gelato sales went up 40% last year, so he said his hopes were there...not. We went into our first church which had a fake facade and beautiful frescos inside. Giovani said he was married in this church (his now wife is from Texas) and his mom hired a cheap exorcist for the event. This didn't really work out since he got married anyway. He now speaks english with a southern twang. The rest of the day consisted of a fast paced tour of the city's other historical wonders. I plan on returning next weekend for an antique fair that happens the first weekend of every month...exciting!"

No comments:

Post a Comment