Monday, March 28, 2011

Last Day of Spring Break

Friday

Today didn’t start out so hot.  Last night I got sick, and I didn’t sleep at all and felt sick all morning. I don’t know if it was from something I ate or maybe I picked up a flu bug in the hostel.  I slept most of the train ride back to Barcelona which was nice, but was very slow moving until the afternoon.  We got Subway for lunch, walked to a pier to eat, and after I finally finished my sandwich I layed down on the pier and napped while watching some fish.  I took a Pepcid tablet, which tasted like powdered toothpaste in my mouth.  I started feeling better, especially after I fell asleep on the beach.  My face is a nice rosy color, except around my eyes – a reminder to always put on sunscreen BEFORE falling asleep with sunglasses on.

We played on the beach for a few hours, which included seeing boys playing soccer in tidy whities and a man completely naked strolling up and down the beach.  We were all impressed with the level of confidence he had – he would slowly stroll through the groups of people, stop at one end of the beach, stand facing the sun with his hands on his hips, and then slowly walk back to the other side.  We buried Jake in the sand and Rachel attempted a back-handspring into the sea.  We decided we should head back to the real world when it started getting chilly.  Four of us girls went to tour Casa Batllo – thanks to my student I.D. I saved 4 euro, audio guide included!  I’m really glad I spent the money to tour Casa Batllo, because I have studied so many aspects of it and it’s the best display of Gaudi’s work.  Pictures will be uploaded this weekend, since I’ll be back at Santa Chiara!

After touring Casa Batllo we went to dinner at the first Mexican restaurant we ate at in Barcelona.  I had an amazing cheese and veggie quesadilla.  Since it was our second time there in one week, they remembered us, and all our food came out beautifully displayed – some of the drinks even had flowers in them!  We peeked in some tourist shops on the way home, and now I’m sitting in my little bed watching our roommate refill his beer.  His name is Ray and he’s from California.  He’s super cool because he introduced himself as “Ray, like Ray Charles, Ray-Ban, or Ray of sunshine.”  He also bought a shirt in London that lights up according to what music is playing.  It’s his clubbing shirt.  He is a grad student that studied in London for six months and is now just traveling around Europe “writing his thesis.” 

We have an early morning tomorrow, but I am SO ready to be back in Castiglion F.no.  Plane leaves bright and early, and then we have a train from Rome.  Spring break was a nice vacation within a vacation, but I’m ready to not live out of a backpack!  It’s sad, but the thing I’m most excited for is to do my laundry!

Cara Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment