Sunday, March 6, 2011

Rachel Comes to Cast Flo

So I haven’t updated my blog in a while, which means another long post. I’m currently sitting in our courtyard watching people throw a football around.  The weather is beautiful!  It’s about 50 degrees with a very light breeze, and the clouds are clear and the sun is shining!  On Thursday Kelsey and I were going to do our laundry, but we took a nap instead.  Miss Rachel Cooper showed up that evening, and we showed her around Santa Chiara and Castiglion Fiorentino.  We snuck her into dinner, and I think she ate a horse’s helping of pasta.  One spill-of-the-day occurred during dinner, although it wasn’t a real spill on me.  I have no idea how it happened, but when I was passing on of the platters of food, the serving tongs fell off the platter, directly into the water jug.  A couple minutes after dropping the tongs in the water, I decided it was a bad idea to have a bottle of olive oil on the table without a lid.  While I was trying to put the lid on the oil, my hands forgot how to work and I dropped the lid into Rachel’s glass of wine.  I had terrible dexterity but great aim at dinner Thursday night.
Right after dinner we freshened up and went to the sketchiest bar in town, the “Rab.”  If you’ve not read about the Rab before, we call it Rab Bar because when we walk up to it, the letters “B-A-R” are facing the opposite way, so to us it‘s “R-A-B.”  We hung out with Santino, the bartender that wears a lab coat, and then shortly after headed to the Velvet Undergound.  At the Velvet there was a live band playing, and it was happy hour, so it was a lot of fun.  By the end of the night all the K-State Americans were right in front of the band dancing and singing along.  We headed back to Santa Chiara and slept like babies on our giant play-pen bed. 
The next day we woke up with a giant crack between the beds, so we were all sinking between the mattresses and had to keep pushing the beds back together.  Kelsey was sleeping in the middle, so Rachel and I flanked her on either side, curled up in balls at the top of our bed trying to avoid the great divide.  It wasn’t for a good hour or so that I realized Kelsey was laying perfectly straight in the middle of us.  I asked her to move to the other mattress and she replied with, “No thanks, I’m comfortable.”  Oh, Kelsey…
 We got out of bed in time for lunch, where Rachel ate her weight in food, again.  After lunch we had to go do our laundry.  We packed our laundry in our roll-y suitcases and hiked down to Speedy Wash.  We played hearts while we waited for our clothes to get clean, and even though I paid about 12 euro for laundry it was a much better experience than hand washing.  We rolled our suitcases up the steep hill, unpacked our laundry, and then participated in the siesta.  We re-did our giant bed so that the blankets held the two mattresses together, and I think Kelsey and I are going to leave it like that for the rest of the semester.
Four hours later we woke up for dinner.  Woops.  We stopped into studio before dinner to check up on our Wildcats, and were thrilled to get another win! Yay cats!  Dinner was delicious, and I may have spilled a little bit of salad and balsamic vinaigrette in my lap, but Rachel took the cake by knocking over her entire glass of wine, freshly refilled.  That night we stayed in and played P&A with just a few friends.  It was lots of fun, and we slept much better on our fixed play-pen bed.
Saturday we woke up and went to Arezzo for the monthly antique fair.  This was by far the coolest thing I have ever been to.  It was an entire district of closed-off streets filled with stands of various antiques, from furniture to jewelry to art work.  Kelsey and I got some stones to put in our jewelry, mine is a ruby!  We saw lots of cool stuff, and only made it down a couple streets before it was time to meet the group for lunch.  We have been planning to eat at a Chinese restaurant for weeks.  Some people had heard about a buffet for 11 euro, but most of us just ordered fried rice and a meat of some kind to save some money.  Our food was delicious and filled that crappy American food void we’ve been suffering from. 
The people that ordered buffet found out that “buffet” to a Chinese-Italian means you sit at a certain table with a little skillet in the middle, and cook your own food.  I was happy with my decision to have them cook my food.
We took a train home and ate dinner and then just hung out at Santa Chiara that evening.  A serious spill of the day occured while I was pouring Rachel some water.  I completely mis-gauged how much water was in the jug and how much room was in Rachel's cup, and I just kept pouring and pouring until I was at the point of no return and the water started overflowing out of her cup. I have no idea what is wrong with me some times. Again, I think it was a dexterity issue. Maybe a bit of slow reflexes...
Today we went to lunch at Café Roggi and then we basked in the sun while the boys played football.  We’re about to go get gelato and watch the boys play soccer, and then Rachey has to go back to Orvieto.  Good news is we’ll probably be going to Orvieto this next weekend.  After that it’s tons of traveling for two weeks.
Gotta go get gelato, I’m getting yelled at!
Cara Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment